The Housing Authority’s policy concerning waiting lists for admission to public housing is presented here.
Managing the Waiting List
The waiting list contains the following information for each applicant listed:
- Applicant Name
- Family Unit Size (number of bedrooms family qualifies for under PHA subsidy standards)
- Date and time of application
- Qualification for any local preference(s)
- Racial or ethnic designation of the head of household
Opening and Closing the Waiting List
Opening of the waiting list will be announced with a public notice stating that applications for public housing will again be accepted. The public notice will state where, when and how to apply. The notice will be published in a local newspaper of general circulation and also by any available minority media. The public notice will state any limitations to who may apply.
The notice will state that applicants already on waiting lists for other housing programs must apply separately for this program and such applicants will not lose their place on other waiting lists when they apply for public housing. The notice will include the Fair Housing log and slogan and will be in compliance with Fair Housing requirements.
Closing of the waiting list will also be announced with a public notice. The public notice will state the date the waiting list will be closed and for what bedroom sizes and/or unit type. The public notice will be published in a local newspaper of general circulation and also by any available minority media.
Organization of the Waiting List
The waiting list will be maintained in accordance with the following guidelines:
- The application will be a permanent file;
- All applicants will be maintained in order of bedroom size, preference, and then in order of date and time of application; and
- Any contracts between the Housing Authority and the applicant will be documented inthe applicant file.
Families Nearing the Top of the Waiting List
When a family appears to be within three (3) months of being offered a unit, the family will be invited to an interview and the verification process will begin. It is at this point in time that the family’s waiting list preference will be verified. If the family no longer qualifies to be near the top of the list, the family’s name will be returned to the appropriate spot on the waiting list. The Housing Authority must notify the family in writing of this determination and give the family the opportunity for an informal review.
Once the preference has been verified, the family will complete a full application, present Social Security number information, citizenship/eligible immigrant information, and sign the Consent for Release of Information forms.
Purging the Waiting List
The Housing Authority will update and purge its waiting list at least annually to ensure that the pool of applicants reasonably represents the interested families for whom the Housing Authority has current information, i.e., applicant’s address, family composition, income category and preference.
Removal of Applicants from the Waiting List
The Housing Authority will not remove an applicant’s name from the waiting list unless:
- The applicant requests in writing that the name be removed;
- The applicant fails to respond to a written request for information or a request to declare their continued interest in the program; or
- The applicant does not meet either the eligibility or suitability criteria for the program