Tenants of Section 8 units have certain rights and responsibilities. Successful participation in the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program requires that the household:

  • Sign an Authorization for the Release of Information form and supply any information or documentation that the Housing Authority determines to be necessary in the administration of the program.
  • Provide true and complete information to the Housing Authority.
  • Disclose and verify social security numbers.
  • If applicable, correct a breach of the Housing Quality Standards caused by the household.
  • Allow the Housing Authority to inspect the dwelling unit at reasonable times and after reasonable notice.
  • Notify the Housing Authority and the owner before the household moves out of the dwelling unit, or terminates the lease with written notice to the owner.
  • Promptly give the Housing Authority a copy of any owner eviction notices.
  • Use the assisted unit solely for residence by the household members listed on the most recent Certification of Household Composition form, and as the household’s only residence.
  • Promptly inform the Housing Authority of the birth, adoption, or court-awarded custody of a child. The household must request the Housing Authority’s approval to add any other household member as an occupant of the assisted unit.
  • Promptly notify the Housing Authority if any household member no longer resides in the assisted unit.
  • Promptly notify the Housing Authority of absence from the assisted unit.


The household must not:

  • Commit any serious or repeated violation of the lease.
  • Sublease, or rent the assisted unit, or any part of the assisted unit.
  • Assign the lease or transfer the assisted unit.
  • Own or have any interest in the dwelling unit, except that of a household assisted in cooperative housing or a mobile home where the household leases the pad.
  • Commit fraud, bribery or any other corrupt or criminal act in connection with the Section 8 Housing Program.
  • Engage in drug-related criminal activity, or violent criminal activity.
  • Receive Section 8 tenant-based assistance while receiving another housing subsidy.