Tenants of Section 8 units have certain rights and responsibilities. Successful participation in the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program requires that the household:
- Sign an Authorization for the Release of Information form and supply any information or documentation that the Housing Authority determines to be necessary in the administration of the program.
- Provide true and complete information to the Housing Authority.
- Disclose and verify social security numbers.
- If applicable, correct a breach of the Housing Quality Standards caused by the household.
- Allow the Housing Authority to inspect the dwelling unit at reasonable times and after reasonable notice.
- Notify the Housing Authority and the owner before the household moves out of the dwelling unit, or terminates the lease with written notice to the owner.
- Promptly give the Housing Authority a copy of any owner eviction notices.
- Use the assisted unit solely for residence by the household members listed on the most recent Certification of Household Composition form, and as the household’s only residence.
- Promptly inform the Housing Authority of the birth, adoption, or court-awarded custody of a child. The household must request the Housing Authority’s approval to add any other household member as an occupant of the assisted unit.
- Promptly notify the Housing Authority if any household member no longer resides in the assisted unit.
- Promptly notify the Housing Authority of absence from the assisted unit.
The household must not:
- Commit any serious or repeated violation of the lease.
- Sublease, or rent the assisted unit, or any part of the assisted unit.
- Assign the lease or transfer the assisted unit.
- Own or have any interest in the dwelling unit, except that of a household assisted in cooperative housing or a mobile home where the household leases the pad.
- Commit fraud, bribery or any other corrupt or criminal act in connection with the Section 8 Housing Program.
- Engage in drug-related criminal activity, or violent criminal activity.
- Receive Section 8 tenant-based assistance while receiving another housing subsidy.